Applying for Financial Aid

Step 1: Submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Your first step is to complete the FAFSA. You must include the Hiwassee College school code (003494) in order for the Office of Financial Aid to receive your results. Below are some FAQs regarding the FAFSA.  

Step 2: Accept your Financial Aid Packaging

Visit the Hiwassee College Financial Aid Student Portal to create a login and accept your funding.

Step 3: Receive your Financial Aid Funding

Your aid may be revised according to your actual enrollment at the time you register. Aid is disbursed each semester to a student account created in your name when you are admitted to Hiwassee College.

Step 4: Don’t lose your funding! You must meet eligibility requirements.  

To maintain your eligibility to be considered for financial aid, you must meet the standards set forth in Hiwassee College’s financial aid policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

You will have to fill out the FAFSA form every year you’re in school in order to stay eligible for federal student aid.



Can my parents complete the FAFSA for me?

No, you are fully responsible for completing your FAFSA and all financial aid documents. However, your parent is required to create their own FSA ID to sign the FAFSA application and apply for the Federal Parent PLUS loan. As well, your parent may need to sign additional documents with the Office of Financial Aid.

Why must I provide my parents information on the FAFSA? 

The federal student aid programs are based on the concept that it is primarily your and your family’s responsibility to pay for your education. A dependent student is assumed to have the support of parents, so the parents’ information has to be assessed along with the student’s, in order to get a full picture of the family’s financial strength. If you’re a dependent student, it doesn’t mean your parents are required to pay anything toward your education; this is just a way of looking at everyone in a consistent manner.

My parents have not filed their tax return yet. Can they estimate their income?

Yes, they may use estimates, but the information must be corrected later to match the exact figures from the actual tax returns before aid is paid to you.

My parents are divorced, which parent should complete the FAFSA?

The parent you lived with most during the last 12 months should complete the FAFSA. If you did not live with either parent, or if you lived with each parent an equal amount of time, use the parent who provided the most support to you in the most recent calendar year.

What do I do if I made a mistake on the FAFSA and want to make corrections?

You should consult a Financial Aid Professional before making changes. Contact the Office of Financial Aid at

What happens if I increase my credit hours after the end of the drop/add period? Will I receive more aid?

No, your aid is based on your enrollment at the end of the drop/add period. Aid is not adjusted after that date.